Saturday, May 23, 2026
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Metro
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Interview
Popular News9ja
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Metro
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Interview
No Result
View All Result
Popular News9ja
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Metro
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Interview
No Result
View All Result
Popular News9ja
No Result
View All Result
Everything on JUMIA
ADVERTISEMENT

We will investigate monarchs’ involvement in kidnapping, banditry, says Obaseki

by Popular News
January 15, 2023
0
184
SHARES
1.5k
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on WhatsApp
ADVERTISEMENT

Edo State Governor, Godwin Obaseki, on Sunday morning disclosed that the state government will henceforth go after traditional rulers who let out grazing land to undesirable elements in their community without checking their background, an act that is contrary to the government policies and directives.

He made the disclosure while on a visit to the state Police Command Clinic to emphatise with rescued victims of the Igueben train station kidnapping incident of about a week ago.

ReadAlso

Key into Shine Agenda CPS to Okpebholo pleads with reporters

Scoop: Encrypted message giving in depth details of sleaze in an agency in Edo State

The governor said: “We thank God  that we have been able to secure the release of almost all the people that were abducted last week at Igueben train station by bandits in Edo State.

“It has been a gruelling experience, something we never prayed for, something we hope never to happen again. We have tested the will of our security forces and I am so glad that the system we have in place is resilient.

“You can see that within the last one week, we have been on the trail of the kidnappers and we contained the kidnappers within the area  and they could not leave the area and with all the intelligence and the area support we got from the Police and the technology support, we were able to track them and with the training of the special forces we have, and with the support of all the other members of the forces we put together, we were able to secure the release of 12 out of the 14 that were being held hostage unharmed and we think it is worth something celebrating, something we should thank and appreciate members of our security forces for, for the sacrifices they put in.

“The endless and sleepless nights which they put into this effort and I think it deserves to be commended  and we thank God that today is Armed Forces Remembrance Day. We have something to rejoice about and so we thank our security forces and we shall continue to invest in our security system of the state and we will continue to encourage the collaboration of our security forces and make sure we continue to invest in the requisite technology and equipment to curb this kind of incidence.

“I must also express our disappointment at the authorities of the Railway Corporation because after the Kaduna incident, one would have expected that they would have secured their facilities better. So, for six men to have entered and kidnapped about 30 people is something I think should be investigated. It does not speak well of their preparedness to run a safe and efficient rail transport system in the country and it does not give Nigerians the confidence to use that mode of transportation.

“You can not tell me that that facility at Igueben train Station has only one policeman with a riffle guiding that facility particularly after what happened in Kaduna.

“I believe this agency knows what it is doing and should therefore investigate what happened to ensure that this kind of thing does not happen to any Nigerian anywhere in this country.

“We are working and consulting with the Commissioner of Police and with the service chiefs  because we have information that some traditional rulers particularly in that area are not respecting government decisions to make sure that grazing land are not given to herders in their forests.

“I have instructed that those traditional rulers be investigated and anyone of them that is found to be harbouring people they should not harbour in their domain will have questions to answer because in communities that have cooperated, we are not having this kind of incidents.

“There was no money or ransome paid to secure the release of the abducted victims because the special forces went into the forest and overpowered the kidnappers who ran away with only two of their victims and they left the rest and the special forces and members of the security team, the military, the Police, the DSS and the vigilantes and hunters to secure the twelve abducted victims that were brought to this hospital.”

The Edo State Commissioner of Police (CP) Mohammed Dankwara said the victims were rescued in Udo Forest in Ugboha in Esan South East Local Government Area of the State.

“Our men in collaboration with other security forces have been in the forest for a week now and it was there they intercepted those people because from the intelligence gathered, the kidnappers and the victims were roaming that area.

“So, yesterday night, the security forces laid an ambush and in trying to move the victims from one area to the other, the security forces intercepted them. So, that was exactly what happened. As I speak with you, we are making progress to make sure the other two victims are released unhurt,” Dankwara stated.

He said there was no casualty in the operation as the kidnappers took to their heels stressing however that they have been able to arrest some members of the syndicate involved in the kidnapping operation.

Related

Tags: #EdoStateGovernment#EdoStatePoliceCommand#GovernorGodwinObaseki#IguebenTrainStationKidnap
ADVERTISEMENT
Previous Post

Police rescues kidnap victims, recovers AK 47 ammunition in Edo

Next Post

Naturalized Danish citizen, Nigerian Army Officer at daggers drawn over Nmulti-million properties in Nigeria

Related Posts

Dr. Godwin Ehighiamusoe — enterprise, compassion and the power of empowerment
News

Dr. Godwin Ehighiamusoe — enterprise, compassion and the power of empowerment

May 20, 2026
1k
50 CNG buses commissned by govt to ease transportation — Afegbua
News

50 CNG buses commissned by govt to ease transportation — Afegbua

May 20, 2026
1k
‘It’s killing business’: Trump’s mass deportation push is crushing local economies
News

Body of second U.S. soldier who went missing in Morocco recovered

May 14, 2026
1k
An open letter to the leaders of the PDP
News

PDP Edo witnesses massive turnout, renewed unity as aspirants undergo screening

May 13, 2026
1k
BREAKING: APC clears Fubara to contest for second term
News

BREAKING: APC clears Fubara to contest for second term

May 10, 2026
1.1k
Concerned Edo South APC stakeholders on resignation of Iyawe, imposition, interference and marginalisation in Edo South
News

Concerned Edo South APC stakeholders on resignation of Iyawe, imposition, interference and marginalisation in Edo South

May 8, 2026
1k
Next Post
Naturalized Danish citizen, Nigerian Army Officer at daggers drawn over Nmulti-million properties in Nigeria

Naturalized Danish citizen, Nigerian Army Officer at daggers drawn over Nmulti-million properties in Nigeria

Discussion about this post

ADVERTISEMENT

Highlights

Troops of 4 Brigade bust kidnappers’ hideouts, arrest 12 suspects

Tooth infection and dental disease cited as cause of death for Haitian man in ICE custody

Donald Trump Jr. and Bettina Anderson get married in Florida

What’s happening in Izon land?

ADVERTISEMENT

An Indian bride dies. Rival claims of murder and suicide set off media frenzy

Okpebholo’s magic wand

Re: Desperate fabrication by quack publication “Standard Daily Press”

When cheap propaganda masquerade as Journalism

Response to Atiku Abubakar’s diatribe on unconstitutionality of zoning

When the people spoke will APC listen?

ADVERTISEMENT

Trending

2025 FGN/ASUU Agreement reneged
Education

2025 FGN/ASUU Agreement reneged

May 21, 2026
1k

The 2025 FGN/ASUU Agreement which was formally unveiled on 14th February 2026, has been reneged upon by the Nigerian state...

2027: Group calls for support for Owan candidates

2027: Group calls for support for Owan candidates

May 19, 2026
1k
Happy 91st birthday daddy

Happy 91st birthday daddy

May 21, 2026
1k
Samuel Ogbemudia: The man who built beyond his time

Samuel Ogbemudia: The man who built beyond his time

May 17, 2026
1k
Ghana, Ivory Coast in tricky qualifying group for the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations

Ghana, Ivory Coast in tricky qualifying group for the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations

May 19, 2026
1k
50 CNG buses commissned by govt to ease transportation — Afegbua

50 CNG buses commissned by govt to ease transportation — Afegbua

May 20, 2026
1k
ADVERTISEMENT
Everything on JUMIA
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Facebook Twitter Instagram

About Us

Popularnews logo

News gathering and dissemination is a business that is worth the while. We have put in some 40 years of experience in the business to equip us for the task at hand. We promise to let these years of experience to bear in the discharge of our duties and as well meet your expectations in this one stop news portal. Our main focus, of course, will be Nigeria.

SECTIONS

  • Agriculture and Natural Resources
  • Breaking News
  • Business
  • Celebration
  • Crime
  • Culture and Tradition
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Environment
  • Exclusive
  • Featured
  • Gender Issues
  • Governance
  • Grassroots
  • Health
  • Hospitality
  • Infrastructure
  • Interview
  • Judiciary
  • Lifestyle
  • Metro
  • Migration
  • News
  • Newspapers
  • Oil and Gas
  • Parliament
  • People's Parliament
  • Photospeak
  • Point of View
  • Politics
  • Press Statement
  • Pussyfoot
  • Religion
  • Right of Reply
  • Security
  • Sponsored
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Tete-a-Tete
  • Tourism
  • Travels
  • Tribute

NEWS SOURCES

  • Bightnews
  • TrackNews
  • National Daily
  • Point News Nigeria
  • Socialist Workers
  • Nigerian Tribune
  • The Nation
  • Thisday
  • The Sun
  • Daily Independent
  • Nigerian's news
  • PM News
  • Vanguard
  • Premium Times
  • Punch
  • Sahara Reporters
  • The Guardian
  • Bayelsa Online News
  • Leadership Newspaper
  • Daily Times Of Nigeria
  • © 2025 Popular News9ja is owned by News Around the World Media - Web Designed by AfeesHost.

    • Home
    • News
    • Politics
    • Metro
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Sports
    • Interview

    © 2025 Popular News9ja is owned by News Around the World Media - Web Designed by AfeesHost.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.