Saturday, May 23, 2026
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Metro
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Interview
Popular News9ja
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Metro
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Interview
No Result
View All Result
Popular News9ja
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Metro
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Interview
No Result
View All Result
Popular News9ja
No Result
View All Result
Everything on JUMIA
ADVERTISEMENT

Prisons begin extra checks after migrant released in error

by Popular News
October 27, 2025
0
123
SHARES
1k
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on WhatsApp
ADVERTISEMENT

Extra checks will be carried out in prisons across England and Wales from Monday after a migrant sex offender was released in error last week.

The government has ordered governors to carry out new procedures to avoid a repeat of Hadush Kebatu’s mistaken release from HMP Chelmsford on Friday, which led to a manhunt and his eventual arrest in London on Sunday.

ReadAlso

IDF warns South Lebanon residents not to return home yet

Justice Secretary David Lammy will face questions on Monday after updating Parliament on an independent inquiry into how Kebatu was set free rather than deported.

A spokesperson for Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer said Kebatu will be deported “imminently” and suggested it would happen within a few days.

The extra checks have been criticised by senior prison staff, who told BBC News they will increase workload and put more pressure on a system already struggling to cope.

Kebatu’s release has led to renewed focus on the state of HM Prison Service, which the government has described as “broken”.

The number of prisoners who have been released mistakenly has risen sharply, with 262 let out in error between April 2024 and March 2025, up from 115 over the same period a year earlier.

Charlie Taylor, HM chief inspector of prisons, told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme “something is going badly wrong” with the prison system, pointing to the rising number of mistaken releases.

Asked about the new checklist prison staff will need to follow before releasing an inmate, Mr Taylor said it had not been shared with him in full so he could not say if it was proportionate.

But he said inexperienced staff were being left with large caseloads of work due to the high “churn” of people coming through the prison system, adding the situation was made more difficult by the implementation of various early release schemes rolled out in recent years.

Sir Keir’s spokesperson told reporters that prison release errors are “never acceptable” and blamed “chronic underinvestment” in the justice system by the previous Conservative government.

On Monday, Housing Secretary Steve Reed said Kebatu’s release had been “catastrophic” and said prison staff would need to carry out the extra checks regardless of workload concerns.

He told GB News: “When the justice secretary stands up in the Commons and tells them they will carry out these checks to stop accidental releases, they will follow his orders.

“We will not tolerate this as a government or as a country, seeing convicted criminals set loose by accident. Absolutely unacceptable.”

On Sunday, Kebatu was arrested in the Finsbury Park area of north London at 08:30, ending a 48-hour manhunt.

He was sentenced last month for sexually assaulting a 14-year-old girl and a woman in July in Epping, Essex, where he had been living in an asylum hotel since arriving in the UK on a small boat.

Kebatu, whose arrest triggered protests, was due to be taken to an immigration detention centre ahead of his planned deportation when he was mistakenly told he could walk free by prison staff on Friday.

A prison officer at HMP Chelmsford has been suspended from active duties but a senior prison employee told BBC News the release was “down to a series of mistakes probably because staff are overworked and in short supply”.

On Sunday, Lammy said Kebatu would be deported this week.

Also on Sunday, Health Secretary Wes Streeting said the Prison Service was under enormous pressure, but added that “even against that backdrop it doesn’t explain or excuse the release of people on our streets who have no business being there”.

Former Conservative Justice Secretary Alex Chalk said an inquiry was necessary in order “to learn lessons”, and suggested the incident was symptomatic of wider problems with the prison system.

He told BBC Breakfast on Sunday: “The entire annual budget of the Ministry of Justice is spent by the Department for Work and Pensions in two weeks.

“My constant plea is to try to ensure the prison service gets the resources it requires to ensure we are recruiting and retaining people with skills and experience to make sure these problems don’t happen.”

The Liberal Democrat MP for Chelmsford, Marie Goldman, said Kebatu “must now be deported” and also pushed for a national inquiry.

Reform UK leader Nigel Farage said the incident showed that the UK’s “once-trusted institutions”, including the police and prisons, were “disintegrating before our eyes”.

Copyright 2025 BBC

Related

Tags: #BBC#HMP
ADVERTISEMENT
Previous Post

Edo PDP mourns death of ThisDay correspondent

Next Post

US to photograph all foreign students, workers and tourists upon arrival and departure

Related Posts

‘It’s killing business’: Trump’s mass deportation push is crushing local economies
Newspapers

Missing USF doctoral students: Zamil Limon’s body found, search continues for Nahida S. Bristy

April 25, 2026
1k
Revealed: How terrorists overran military base, killed General Braimah – Surviving soldiers narrate
Newspapers

Revealed: How attack by terrorists ended last conversation between late General Braimah, twin brother

April 17, 2026
1.1k
ADC and the recycling of political actors: Why credibility cannot be rebranded
Newspapers

ADC presidential hopefuls have nothing to offer Nigerians, says Dumebi Kachickwu

April 16, 2026
1k
Whistleblower kicks against $396m Paris Club payment to Ned Nwoko
Newspapers

Whistleblower kicks against $396m Paris Club payment to Ned Nwoko

April 15, 2026
1.1k
Kenyan ex-foreign minister arrested and accused of staging his disappearance
Newspapers

Kenyan ex-foreign minister arrested and accused of staging his disappearance

March 24, 2026
1k
Newspapers

FULL LIST: Tinubu approves 65 ambassadorial postings

March 7, 2026
1k
Next Post
‘It’s killing business’: Trump’s mass deportation push is crushing local economies

US to photograph all foreign students, workers and tourists upon arrival and departure

Discussion about this post

ADVERTISEMENT

Highlights

When the people spoke will APC listen?

2025 FGN/ASUU Agreement reneged

Bumper CIG night

ADVERTISEMENT

Samuel Ogbemudia: The man who built beyond his time

An Indian bride dies. Rival claims of murder and suicide set off media frenzy

Response to Atiku Abubakar’s diatribe on unconstitutionality of zoning

Happy 91st birthday daddy

Ancient’ statues fraud foiled by fake paperwork

Re: Desperate fabrication by quack publication “Standard Daily Press”

Ghana, Ivory Coast in tricky qualifying group for the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations

ADVERTISEMENT

Trending

Troops of 4 Brigade bust kidnappers’ hideouts, arrest 12 suspects
Crime

Troops of 4 Brigade bust kidnappers’ hideouts, arrest 12 suspects

May 20, 2026
1.1k

Troops of 4 Brigade, under 2 Division Nigerian Army, in conjunction with the other security agencies and the Edo State...

Donald Trump Jr. and Bettina Anderson get married in Florida

Donald Trump Jr. and Bettina Anderson get married in Florida

May 23, 2026
1k
What’s happening in Izon land?

What’s happening in Izon land?

May 18, 2026
1k
Okpebholo call your aides to order

Okpebholo’s magic wand

May 22, 2026
1k
2027: Group calls for support for Owan candidates

2027: Group calls for support for Owan candidates

May 19, 2026
1k
Tooth infection and dental disease cited as cause of death for Haitian man in ICE custody

Tooth infection and dental disease cited as cause of death for Haitian man in ICE custody

May 17, 2026
1k
ADVERTISEMENT
Everything on JUMIA
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Facebook Twitter Instagram

About Us

Popularnews logo

News gathering and dissemination is a business that is worth the while. We have put in some 40 years of experience in the business to equip us for the task at hand. We promise to let these years of experience to bear in the discharge of our duties and as well meet your expectations in this one stop news portal. Our main focus, of course, will be Nigeria.

SECTIONS

  • Agriculture and Natural Resources
  • Breaking News
  • Business
  • Celebration
  • Crime
  • Culture and Tradition
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Environment
  • Exclusive
  • Featured
  • Gender Issues
  • Governance
  • Grassroots
  • Health
  • Hospitality
  • Infrastructure
  • Interview
  • Judiciary
  • Lifestyle
  • Metro
  • Migration
  • News
  • Newspapers
  • Oil and Gas
  • Parliament
  • People's Parliament
  • Photospeak
  • Point of View
  • Politics
  • Press Statement
  • Pussyfoot
  • Religion
  • Right of Reply
  • Security
  • Sponsored
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Tete-a-Tete
  • Tourism
  • Travels
  • Tribute

NEWS SOURCES

  • Bightnews
  • TrackNews
  • National Daily
  • Point News Nigeria
  • Socialist Workers
  • Nigerian Tribune
  • The Nation
  • Thisday
  • The Sun
  • Daily Independent
  • Nigerian's news
  • PM News
  • Vanguard
  • Premium Times
  • Punch
  • Sahara Reporters
  • The Guardian
  • Bayelsa Online News
  • Leadership Newspaper
  • Daily Times Of Nigeria
  • © 2025 Popular News9ja is owned by News Around the World Media - Web Designed by AfeesHost.

    • Home
    • News
    • Politics
    • Metro
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Sports
    • Interview

    © 2025 Popular News9ja is owned by News Around the World Media - Web Designed by AfeesHost.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.