Saturday, May 23, 2026
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Metro
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Interview
Popular News9ja
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Metro
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Interview
No Result
View All Result
Popular News9ja
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Metro
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Interview
No Result
View All Result
Popular News9ja
No Result
View All Result
Everything on JUMIA
ADVERTISEMENT

Edo residents lost over N1.5bn to land-grabbers, says state govt

by Popular News
November 19, 2022
0
124
SHARES
1k
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on WhatsApp
ADVERTISEMENT

Edo State Government has restated its commitment to ending the activities of land-grabbers and sanitizing the state’s built environment, decrying that residents have lost over N1.5bn to land-grabbers in the state.

The Edo State Commissioner for Communication and Orientation, Chris Nehikare, disclosed this to journalists in Benin City, on Friday.

ReadAlso

Ancient’ statues fraud foiled by fake paperwork

Donald Trump Jr. and Bettina Anderson get married in Florida

He said the government has arrested six mischief makers who in the guise of a protest stormed the Edo State Secretariat at Sapele Road, Benin City, armed with dangerous weapons and charms, threatening the lives of workers and others at the complex.

The Commissioner said the mischief makers claimed they are from the Irhirhi axis where the government is developing a new town, noting that the government will not relent in its commitment to rid the state of land-grabbers.

Nehikhare said, “Yesterday, we had some protesters who stormed the secretariat complex; they came in a rowdy manner threatening staff of the state government for doing their work and implementing government’s policies and programmes.

“These protesters started performing rituals, killing animals inside the premises of Edo State Government Secretariat in a threatening manner with dangerous weapons.

“They claimed they were from the Irhirhi-axis where government land was being sold off by land grabbers and government reclaimed it to build a new town.

“We had a full day last week for victims of land grabbing as we had a stakeholders’ meeting for victims to discuss with the government and we had a productive discussion.

“Land grabbers are fighting back and luckily for us, six people were arrested and they are already being prosecuted; they may have gone to Court or may be appearing in Court on Monday.”

He continued: “Government policies must be obeyed. It’s what keeps the society different from the animal kingdom. What the government did was to retrieve its stolen properties as the government wants to create a new town in the area.

“The land grabbers have made over N1. 5 billion from their victims. Now, they are threatening the government and its staff, and come to the secretariat doing rituals in an attempt to threaten the peace of the state.”

The Commissioner decried, “We were really disappointed with the action of the so-called protesters who came threatening the lives of civil servants in the state and going to Block C where the Ministry of Physical Planning, Housing, Urban and Regional Development is sited. We will not tolerate such acts anymore.”

Related

ADVERTISEMENT
Previous Post

Edo NAWOJ soothes Festus Alenkhe’s nerves over demise of his mother

Next Post

PANDEF commends FG for suspending plans to terminate amnesty programme

Related Posts

An Indian bride dies. Rival claims of murder and suicide set off media frenzy
Featured

An Indian bride dies. Rival claims of murder and suicide set off media frenzy

May 22, 2026
1k
Dr. Godwin Ehighiamusoe — enterprise, compassion and the power of empowerment
News

Dr. Godwin Ehighiamusoe — enterprise, compassion and the power of empowerment

May 20, 2026
1k
50 CNG buses commissned by govt to ease transportation — Afegbua
News

50 CNG buses commissned by govt to ease transportation — Afegbua

May 20, 2026
1k
‘It’s killing business’: Trump’s mass deportation push is crushing local economies
News

Body of second U.S. soldier who went missing in Morocco recovered

May 14, 2026
1k
An open letter to the leaders of the PDP
News

PDP Edo witnesses massive turnout, renewed unity as aspirants undergo screening

May 13, 2026
1k
BREAKING: APC clears Fubara to contest for second term
News

BREAKING: APC clears Fubara to contest for second term

May 10, 2026
1.1k
Next Post
PANDEF commends FG for suspending plans to terminate amnesty programme

PANDEF commends FG for suspending plans to terminate amnesty programme

Discussion about this post

ADVERTISEMENT

Highlights

Dr. Godwin Ehighiamusoe — enterprise, compassion and the power of empowerment

Ancient’ statues fraud foiled by fake paperwork

Samuel Ogbemudia: The man who built beyond his time

ADVERTISEMENT

Happy 91st birthday daddy

Bumper CIG night

When the people spoke will APC listen?

2027: Group calls for support for Owan candidates

Ghana, Ivory Coast in tricky qualifying group for the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations

What’s happening in Izon land?

Okpebholo’s magic wand

ADVERTISEMENT

Trending

Troops of 4 Brigade bust kidnappers’ hideouts, arrest 12 suspects
Crime

Troops of 4 Brigade bust kidnappers’ hideouts, arrest 12 suspects

May 20, 2026
1.1k

Troops of 4 Brigade, under 2 Division Nigerian Army, in conjunction with the other security agencies and the Edo State...

Donald Trump Jr. and Bettina Anderson get married in Florida

Donald Trump Jr. and Bettina Anderson get married in Florida

May 23, 2026
1k
2025 FGN/ASUU Agreement reneged

2025 FGN/ASUU Agreement reneged

May 21, 2026
1k
An Indian bride dies. Rival claims of murder and suicide set off media frenzy

An Indian bride dies. Rival claims of murder and suicide set off media frenzy

May 22, 2026
1k
Response to Atiku Abubakar’s diatribe on unconstitutionality of zoning

Response to Atiku Abubakar’s diatribe on unconstitutionality of zoning

May 20, 2026
1k
Tooth infection and dental disease cited as cause of death for Haitian man in ICE custody

Tooth infection and dental disease cited as cause of death for Haitian man in ICE custody

May 17, 2026
1k
ADVERTISEMENT
Everything on JUMIA
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Facebook Twitter Instagram

About Us

Popularnews logo

News gathering and dissemination is a business that is worth the while. We have put in some 40 years of experience in the business to equip us for the task at hand. We promise to let these years of experience to bear in the discharge of our duties and as well meet your expectations in this one stop news portal. Our main focus, of course, will be Nigeria.

SECTIONS

  • Agriculture and Natural Resources
  • Breaking News
  • Business
  • Celebration
  • Crime
  • Culture and Tradition
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Environment
  • Exclusive
  • Featured
  • Gender Issues
  • Governance
  • Grassroots
  • Health
  • Hospitality
  • Infrastructure
  • Interview
  • Judiciary
  • Lifestyle
  • Metro
  • Migration
  • News
  • Newspapers
  • Oil and Gas
  • Parliament
  • People's Parliament
  • Photospeak
  • Point of View
  • Politics
  • Press Statement
  • Pussyfoot
  • Religion
  • Right of Reply
  • Security
  • Sponsored
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Tete-a-Tete
  • Tourism
  • Travels
  • Tribute

NEWS SOURCES

  • Bightnews
  • TrackNews
  • National Daily
  • Point News Nigeria
  • Socialist Workers
  • Nigerian Tribune
  • The Nation
  • Thisday
  • The Sun
  • Daily Independent
  • Nigerian's news
  • PM News
  • Vanguard
  • Premium Times
  • Punch
  • Sahara Reporters
  • The Guardian
  • Bayelsa Online News
  • Leadership Newspaper
  • Daily Times Of Nigeria
  • © 2025 Popular News9ja is owned by News Around the World Media - Web Designed by AfeesHost.

    • Home
    • News
    • Politics
    • Metro
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Sports
    • Interview

    © 2025 Popular News9ja is owned by News Around the World Media - Web Designed by AfeesHost.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.