Saturday, May 23, 2026
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Metro
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Interview
Popular News9ja
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Metro
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Interview
No Result
View All Result
Popular News9ja
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Metro
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Interview
No Result
View All Result
Popular News9ja
No Result
View All Result
Everything on JUMIA
ADVERTISEMENT

The targets of the mastermind of coup plot against Tinubu, how he was unmasked

by Popular News
January 28, 2026
0
136
SHARES
1.1k
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on WhatsApp
ADVERTISEMENT

An interim investigation report into the alleged coup plot against President Bola Tinubu’s government has revealed that a clandestine network of military officers coordinated by an Army Colonel (name withheld) had planned the takeover, with funding, recruitment, and operational planning traced directly to him.

The report, sighted by The PUNCH on Tuesday, indicated that the Army officer, whose repeated failures in promotion reportedly fuelled his disaffection, mobilised like-minded officers across the Army, Navy, and Air Force, assigning them to survey critical national installations, including the Presidential Villa, major barracks, and international airports.

ReadAlso

Gunmen kill dozens in Nigeria as US military deployment confirmed

Defence Minister, Christopher Musa, joins APC

In October 2025, the DHQ announced the arrest of 16 officers over acts of indiscipline and breaches of service regulations.

Shortly after, Sahara Reporters reported that the officers — ranging from the rank of Captain to Brigadier General — were arrested by the Defence Intelligence Agency for holding secret meetings to topple the government, and linked the alleged plot to the cancellation of the October 1 Independence Day parade.

At the time, the then Director of Defence Information, Brigadier General Tukur Gusau (retd.), dismissed the report as an attempt to create tension and distrust, stating that the matter was a purely internal disciplinary issue.

He said an investigative panel had been constituted and that its findings would be made public.

Providing an update on Monday, the new Director of Defence Information, Major General Samaila Uba, stated that a comprehensive investigation had now been concluded in accordance with established military procedures, and the report had been forwarded to the appropriate superior authority.

In the interim investigation report, the indicted Colonel was described as the alleged coordinator of the plot.

Investigators said the planned coup went beyond “casual dissent” and had entered the early stages of operational planning, including the covert surveillance of critical national assets such as the Presidential Villa, Armed Forces Complex, Niger Barracks, Abuja, and Lagos international airports.

According to the report, the plot was uncovered following intelligence on “disgruntled elements within the Armed Forces of Nigeria and the civil populace,” leading to arrests, interrogations, and link analysis that exposed a structured conspiracy aimed at a coup d’état.

The report states that the Army officer, who reportedly failed promotion exams twice, “harnessed these grievances to recruit like-minded officers,” openly lamenting his stagnation and expressing the need to “change government.”

According to the report, searches conducted on his vehicle reportedly uncovered charms and anti-government materials, while a raid on his residence in Lokogoma, Apo, yielded “very sensitive documents,” including assigned roles to principal actors and notes identifying how “key national dignitaries” were to be handled during the operation.

“Multiple testimonies implicate Col (name withheld) as the coordinator of the conspiracy. He has been identified so far as the source of funding, recruitment, and motivation, openly lamenting his stagnation in promotion and expressing the need to ‘change government.’

“Several officers involved in the plot describe him as the figure who provided financial inducements and justification.

“Meanwhile, search of his vehicle revealed several charms and write-ups such as the NUPENG strike action and other anti-government write-ups.

“Similarly, a search on his residence at Lokogoma, Apo, revealed very sensitive documents which included allocation of responsibilities to some of the principal actors.

“Also, key national dignitaries were earmarked to be handled by respective principal actors,” the report stated.

The PUNCH, on Monday, had reported how the coup plotters infiltrated the Presidential Villa and compromised the staff of construction giants, Julius Berger, to get some security information of the premises.

The Defence Headquarters on Monday said personnel indicted after investigations into alleged misconduct by some military officers, which uncovered claims of a plot to overthrow the government, would be arraigned before an appropriate military judicial panel.

The 16 officers reported to be in custody were Brig Gen M. A. Sadiq, Col M. A. Maaji, Lt Col S. Bappah, Lt Col A.A. Hayatu, Lt Col P. Dangnap, Lt Col M. Almakura, Maj A. J. Ibrahim, Maj M. M. Jiddah, Maj M.A. Usman, Maj D. Yusuf, Capt I. Bello, Capt A.A. Yusuf, Lt S.S. Felix, Lt Cdr D.B. Abdullahi, Sqn Ldr S.B. Adamu, and Maj I. Dauda.

Officers being awaited, according to the report, are Maj J.M. Ganaks and Capt G. Binuga Most of the suspects are of northern extraction, with the exception of Capt Yusuf, who hails from Osun State.

The foiled coup was allegedly set for October 25, 2025, and was planned to be fatal, with the President, Vice President Kashim Shettima, ministers, service chiefs, and other notable government officials marked for elimination.

The country’s security establishment, however, uncovered what investigators described as a coordinated and well-funded plot by serving military officers to undermine constituted authority and potentially seize power, with intelligence linking the conspiracy to a clandestine network spanning the Army, Navy, and Air Force.

According to investigators, financial inducements ranging from N2m to N5m were distributed to some principal actors, while encrypted communication platforms were used to coordinate logistics.

Investigators further traced financial inducements allegedly disbursed by the Colonel to some officers for “logistics and possible mobilisation,” with intelligence pointing to the involvement of at least one major financier now under investigation.

A detailed financial trail, according to the report, was being analysed with the Nigerian Financial Intelligence Unit.

One of the suspects, Lt Col Bappah, emerged as a critical witness, the report stated.

The report noted that Bappah was “cooperating fully,” having admitted his role and provided details on funding flows, recruitment methods, and communication channels.

His testimony, investigators said, had strengthened the case and offered rare insight into the group’s modus operandi.

Encrypted messaging platforms, including WhatsApp and Zangi, were allegedly used to coordinate activities, while discreet vehicle repairs and fund movements suggested what investigators described as “early-stage logistical preparations.”

The interim assessment warned that the threat was elevated by the cross-service nature of the network, the involvement of senior officers up to the rank of Brigadier-General, and the identification of strategic installations for seizure — hallmarks, the report says, of deliberate coup-style planning.

While full investigations continued and more suspects were being tracked, security sources said the findings justified swift preventive action to dismantle the network, secure sensitive locations, and cut off funding lines sustaining the alleged plot.

“The threat posed was clear and immediate,” the report concluded, adding that failure to act could have had “grave implications for national stability.”

Security agencies are also reportedly examining alleged political linkages surrounding the uncovered coup plot within the Armed Forces, with sources confirming that the name of a former minister surfaced in the course of ongoing intelligence reviews.

However, no formal charge had been filed against the former minister, and no arrest warrant had been issued, as he had been outside the country for a while.

Security sources told The PUNCH that the probe had expanded beyond serving military officers to include civilian contacts, financiers, and political associates who may have had direct or indirect interactions with key suspects.

“The investigation is not limited to uniforms alone,” one source said.

“We are looking at communication trails, financial flows, and political interfaces. That does not mean guilt; it means due diligence,” he added. (Headline rejigged)

Related

Tags: #AsoRockVilla#CoupPlot#JuliusBerger#PresidentBolaAhmedTinubu
ADVERTISEMENT
Previous Post

NSC, BC collaborate for Team Nigeria cyclists to train in Manchester for the 2026 Commonwealth Games

Next Post

APC Owan East moves against ‘Abu Millionaire’, Okaka’s perceived dictatorship

Related Posts

Dr. Godwin Ehighiamusoe — enterprise, compassion and the power of empowerment
News

Dr. Godwin Ehighiamusoe — enterprise, compassion and the power of empowerment

May 20, 2026
1k
50 CNG buses commissned by govt to ease transportation — Afegbua
News

50 CNG buses commissned by govt to ease transportation — Afegbua

May 20, 2026
1k
‘It’s killing business’: Trump’s mass deportation push is crushing local economies
News

Body of second U.S. soldier who went missing in Morocco recovered

May 14, 2026
1k
An open letter to the leaders of the PDP
News

PDP Edo witnesses massive turnout, renewed unity as aspirants undergo screening

May 13, 2026
1k
BREAKING: APC clears Fubara to contest for second term
News

BREAKING: APC clears Fubara to contest for second term

May 10, 2026
1.1k
Concerned Edo South APC stakeholders on resignation of Iyawe, imposition, interference and marginalisation in Edo South
News

Concerned Edo South APC stakeholders on resignation of Iyawe, imposition, interference and marginalisation in Edo South

May 8, 2026
1k
Next Post
Ogundeji splashes Christmas gifts on thousands across Osun West

APC Owan East moves against 'Abu Millionaire', Okaka's perceived dictatorship

Discussion about this post

ADVERTISEMENT

Highlights

Response to Atiku Abubakar’s diatribe on unconstitutionality of zoning

Samuel Ogbemudia: The man who built beyond his time

Re: Desperate fabrication by quack publication “Standard Daily Press”

ADVERTISEMENT

Okpebholo’s magic wand

50 CNG buses commissned by govt to ease transportation — Afegbua

2027: Group calls for support for Owan candidates

Bumper CIG night

An Indian bride dies. Rival claims of murder and suicide set off media frenzy

What’s happening in Izon land?

2025 FGN/ASUU Agreement reneged

ADVERTISEMENT

Trending

Troops of 4 Brigade bust kidnappers’ hideouts, arrest 12 suspects
Crime

Troops of 4 Brigade bust kidnappers’ hideouts, arrest 12 suspects

May 20, 2026
1.1k

Troops of 4 Brigade, under 2 Division Nigerian Army, in conjunction with the other security agencies and the Edo State...

Donald Trump Jr. and Bettina Anderson get married in Florida

Donald Trump Jr. and Bettina Anderson get married in Florida

May 23, 2026
1k
Happy 91st birthday daddy

Happy 91st birthday daddy

May 21, 2026
1k
Tooth infection and dental disease cited as cause of death for Haitian man in ICE custody

Tooth infection and dental disease cited as cause of death for Haitian man in ICE custody

May 17, 2026
1k
Ghana, Ivory Coast in tricky qualifying group for the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations

Ghana, Ivory Coast in tricky qualifying group for the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations

May 19, 2026
1k
Dr. Godwin Ehighiamusoe — enterprise, compassion and the power of empowerment

Dr. Godwin Ehighiamusoe — enterprise, compassion and the power of empowerment

May 20, 2026
1k
ADVERTISEMENT
Everything on JUMIA
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Facebook Twitter Instagram

About Us

Popularnews logo

News gathering and dissemination is a business that is worth the while. We have put in some 40 years of experience in the business to equip us for the task at hand. We promise to let these years of experience to bear in the discharge of our duties and as well meet your expectations in this one stop news portal. Our main focus, of course, will be Nigeria.

SECTIONS

  • Agriculture and Natural Resources
  • Breaking News
  • Business
  • Celebration
  • Crime
  • Culture and Tradition
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Environment
  • Exclusive
  • Featured
  • Gender Issues
  • Governance
  • Grassroots
  • Health
  • Hospitality
  • Infrastructure
  • Interview
  • Judiciary
  • Lifestyle
  • Metro
  • Migration
  • News
  • Newspapers
  • Oil and Gas
  • Parliament
  • People's Parliament
  • Photospeak
  • Point of View
  • Politics
  • Press Statement
  • Pussyfoot
  • Religion
  • Right of Reply
  • Security
  • Sponsored
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Tete-a-Tete
  • Tourism
  • Travels
  • Tribute

NEWS SOURCES

  • Bightnews
  • TrackNews
  • National Daily
  • Point News Nigeria
  • Socialist Workers
  • Nigerian Tribune
  • The Nation
  • Thisday
  • The Sun
  • Daily Independent
  • Nigerian's news
  • PM News
  • Vanguard
  • Premium Times
  • Punch
  • Sahara Reporters
  • The Guardian
  • Bayelsa Online News
  • Leadership Newspaper
  • Daily Times Of Nigeria
  • © 2025 Popular News9ja is owned by News Around the World Media - Web Designed by AfeesHost.

    • Home
    • News
    • Politics
    • Metro
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Sports
    • Interview

    © 2025 Popular News9ja is owned by News Around the World Media - Web Designed by AfeesHost.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.