Saturday, May 23, 2026
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Metro
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Interview
Popular News9ja
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Metro
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Interview
No Result
View All Result
Popular News9ja
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Metro
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Interview
No Result
View All Result
Popular News9ja
No Result
View All Result
Everything on JUMIA
ADVERTISEMENT

Okpebholo condemns attack on Onojie of Ekpoma’s Palace, vows decisive action against insecurity

by Popular News
January 12, 2026
0
123
SHARES
1k
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on WhatsApp
ADVERTISEMENT

Edo State Governor, Senator Monday Okpebholo, has condemned the attack on the Palace of the Onojie of Ekpoma, His Royal Highness, Zaiki Anthony Ehizojie Abumere II, following a protest in Ekpoma that resulted in the blockage of a major highway and widespread destruction of property.

The Governor’s condemnation came a day after the incident, when he visited the Palace to personally assess the damage allegedly caused by protesters who invaded the traditional institution under the guise of expressing grievances over insecurity.

ReadAlso

Okpebholo has repositioned Edo Sports to reclaim its glory – Deputy Governor

Scoop: Encrypted message giving in depth details of sleaze in an agency in Edo State

Governor Okpebholo was accompanied by top government officials, the Edo State Commissioner of Police, and leaders of the All Progressives Congress (APC), including the state chairman, Emperor Jarrett Tenebe; Edo Central Senatorial leader, General Cecil Esekhaigbe (rtd); and other party stakeholders.

During the visit, the governor was taken round the palace and shown several items destroyed during the invasion. Vehicles within the palace compound were vandalised, while canopies and chairs were broken. Cartons of Indomie noodles belonging to the Enojie’s wife, who trades in the product, were also destroyed. Doors and windows of the palace were damaged.

Reacting, Governor Okpebholo described the invasion of the palace and the looting of property as criminal and unacceptable, stressing that protests must never be used as an excuse for lawlessness.

“I want to thank Your Highness for the love you have shown to me and our people over the years,” the governor said. “Kidnapping is a serious problem across Nigeria, and that is why the President has taken bold steps, including withdrawing police from VIP duties, to strengthen the fight against insecurity.”

He disclosed that a security meeting was held earlier in the week with a strong focus on Edo Central Senatorial District, particularly the Ekpoma axis, adding that the government had rolled out strategic, technology-driven security operations.

“We have carried out operations in Edo North and Edo South, and now we are in Edo Central. We will leave no stone unturned. The first operation was very successful—nine kidnapped persons in Etsako West were rescued unhurt and the kidnappers were arrested,” he stated.

Governor Okpebholo warned that those who hijacked the protest to vandalise the palace and loot property would be brought to justice.

“They came under the guise of protest and sentiments, then resorted to looting and violence. This is unacceptable. We will go after them the same way we are going after kidnappers. Nobody should test our patience,” he said.

Emphasising his personal stake in the peace of Ekpoma and Esan land, the governor added, “I am an Esan man and I got my highest votes here in Ekpoma. I will not allow bad things to happen in this land. In the coming days, our actions will speak for themselves. Nobody involved in this criminality will be spared.”

Earlier, the Onojie Zaiki Anthony Ehizojie Abumere II, described the incident as unfortunate, alleging that many of the protesters were under the influence of illicit drugs.

“What transpired was very sad. Many of them were under the influence of drugs. If not for God’s intervention, something worse would have happened,” the monarch said.

He explained that he attempted to address the protesters when they first arrived but was prevented from doing so. According to him, the protesters later returned while he was away attending a security meeting with other traditional rulers, forced their way into the palace, and unleashed violence.

Governor Okpebholo assured the traditional ruler and the people of Ekpoma that decisive security operations were imminent, stressing that peace, law, and order would be fully restored in the community and across Edo Central.

Related

Tags: #EdoCentralDistrict#GovernorMondayOkpebholo#Protest#ZaikiAnthonyEhizojieAbumereIl
ADVERTISEMENT
Previous Post

Native doctor who promised Mali AFCON victory after collecting €33,500 arrested

Next Post

Indiscriminate remand of Nigerian citizens must stop – Security Situation Room

Related Posts

Dr. Godwin Ehighiamusoe — enterprise, compassion and the power of empowerment
News

Dr. Godwin Ehighiamusoe — enterprise, compassion and the power of empowerment

May 20, 2026
1k
50 CNG buses commissned by govt to ease transportation — Afegbua
News

50 CNG buses commissned by govt to ease transportation — Afegbua

May 20, 2026
1k
‘It’s killing business’: Trump’s mass deportation push is crushing local economies
News

Body of second U.S. soldier who went missing in Morocco recovered

May 14, 2026
1k
An open letter to the leaders of the PDP
News

PDP Edo witnesses massive turnout, renewed unity as aspirants undergo screening

May 13, 2026
1k
BREAKING: APC clears Fubara to contest for second term
News

BREAKING: APC clears Fubara to contest for second term

May 10, 2026
1.1k
Concerned Edo South APC stakeholders on resignation of Iyawe, imposition, interference and marginalisation in Edo South
News

Concerned Edo South APC stakeholders on resignation of Iyawe, imposition, interference and marginalisation in Edo South

May 8, 2026
1k
Next Post
Ogbankwa wants NBA President to bring reforms into the association’s voting process

Indiscriminate remand of Nigerian citizens must stop - Security Situation Room

Discussion about this post

ADVERTISEMENT

Highlights

2027: Group calls for support for Owan candidates

Bumper CIG night

50 CNG buses commissned by govt to ease transportation — Afegbua

Okpebholo’s magic wand

Happy 91st birthday daddy

Tooth infection and dental disease cited as cause of death for Haitian man in ICE custody

ADVERTISEMENT

Dr. Godwin Ehighiamusoe — enterprise, compassion and the power of empowerment

Samuel Ogbemudia: The man who built beyond his time

Ghana, Ivory Coast in tricky qualifying group for the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations

When the people spoke will APC listen?

ADVERTISEMENT

Trending

Troops of 4 Brigade bust kidnappers’ hideouts, arrest 12 suspects
Crime

Troops of 4 Brigade bust kidnappers’ hideouts, arrest 12 suspects

May 20, 2026
1.1k

Troops of 4 Brigade, under 2 Division Nigerian Army, in conjunction with the other security agencies and the Edo State...

What’s happening in Izon land?

What’s happening in Izon land?

May 18, 2026
1k
Donald Trump Jr. and Bettina Anderson get married in Florida

Donald Trump Jr. and Bettina Anderson get married in Florida

May 23, 2026
1k
2025 FGN/ASUU Agreement reneged

2025 FGN/ASUU Agreement reneged

May 21, 2026
1k
An Indian bride dies. Rival claims of murder and suicide set off media frenzy

An Indian bride dies. Rival claims of murder and suicide set off media frenzy

May 22, 2026
1k
Response to Atiku Abubakar’s diatribe on unconstitutionality of zoning

Response to Atiku Abubakar’s diatribe on unconstitutionality of zoning

May 20, 2026
1k
ADVERTISEMENT
Everything on JUMIA
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Facebook Twitter Instagram

About Us

Popularnews logo

News gathering and dissemination is a business that is worth the while. We have put in some 40 years of experience in the business to equip us for the task at hand. We promise to let these years of experience to bear in the discharge of our duties and as well meet your expectations in this one stop news portal. Our main focus, of course, will be Nigeria.

SECTIONS

  • Agriculture and Natural Resources
  • Breaking News
  • Business
  • Celebration
  • Crime
  • Culture and Tradition
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Environment
  • Exclusive
  • Featured
  • Gender Issues
  • Governance
  • Grassroots
  • Health
  • Hospitality
  • Infrastructure
  • Interview
  • Judiciary
  • Lifestyle
  • Metro
  • Migration
  • News
  • Newspapers
  • Oil and Gas
  • Parliament
  • People's Parliament
  • Photospeak
  • Point of View
  • Politics
  • Press Statement
  • Pussyfoot
  • Religion
  • Right of Reply
  • Security
  • Sponsored
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Tete-a-Tete
  • Tourism
  • Travels
  • Tribute

NEWS SOURCES

  • Bightnews
  • TrackNews
  • National Daily
  • Point News Nigeria
  • Socialist Workers
  • Nigerian Tribune
  • The Nation
  • Thisday
  • The Sun
  • Daily Independent
  • Nigerian's news
  • PM News
  • Vanguard
  • Premium Times
  • Punch
  • Sahara Reporters
  • The Guardian
  • Bayelsa Online News
  • Leadership Newspaper
  • Daily Times Of Nigeria
  • © 2025 Popular News9ja is owned by News Around the World Media - Web Designed by AfeesHost.

    • Home
    • News
    • Politics
    • Metro
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Sports
    • Interview

    © 2025 Popular News9ja is owned by News Around the World Media - Web Designed by AfeesHost.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.