Saturday, May 23, 2026
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Metro
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Interview
Popular News9ja
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Metro
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Interview
No Result
View All Result
Popular News9ja
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Metro
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Interview
No Result
View All Result
Popular News9ja
No Result
View All Result
Everything on JUMIA
ADVERTISEMENT

Military dragnet widens as retired Army General is arrested over alleged coup plot against Tinubu

by Popular News
February 3, 2026
0
124
SHARES
1k
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on WhatsApp
ADVERTISEMENT

The military clampdown on suspected coup plotters has intensified as security agencies turned searchlight on more individuals allegedly linked to the plot to overthrow the government of President Bola Tinubu.

A retired Army General, identified as Major General Mohammed, was allegedly arrested, alongside several serving military officers.

ReadAlso

Gunmen kill dozens in Nigeria as US military deployment confirmed

Defence Minister, Christopher Musa, joins APC

It was gathered that the General, a traditional title holder from Niger State, was taken into custody shortly after his son, a Lieutenant Colonel, was detained by military intelligence operatives.

The Lieutenant Colonel, Ibrahim Gana is among the 35 military officers currently being held over alleged involvement in the plot aimed at truncating Nigeria’s democratic government.

Until his arrest, the younger Ibrahim-Gana was the Commanding Officer of the 115 Battalion in Askira, Borno State and was listed as number nine on the official list of detained officers.

A military source disclosed that the retired General was arrested mainly due to his long-standing relationship with the alleged mastermind of the plot, Colonel Alhassan Ma’aji.

“A retired Army General, Mohammed Ibrahim Gana, was also arrested. He is said to be the one who helped the alleged mastermind of the coup, Colonel Alhassan Ma’aji, gain admission into the Nigerian Defence Academy in August 1995. Being Ma’aji’s godfather, investigators believed he was aware of the plan. Nothing else was linked to him apart from that,” the source told Daily Sun.

The source added that although no incriminating evidence had so far been traced to Lieutenant Colonel Ibrahim-Gana, he was nevertheless detained on suspicion of having possible links to the alleged plotters.

“His son was busy fighting Boko Haram in Borno, but they still believed he might have a connection with the coup plotters,” the source added.

Investigators have also reportedly arrested several civilians in connection with the case, including mechanics alleged to have repaired vehicles for some of the suspects and a staff member of construction firm, Julius Berger.

It was further gathered that a police officer, identified as Inspector Ahmed Ibrahim from Taraba State, was apprehended in Abuja by operatives of the Defence Intelligence Agency (DIA) over alleged involvement in the plot.

Those currently detained include an Army Brigadier General, two Colonels, five Lieutenant Colonels, a Wing Commander (equivalent to Lieutenant Colonel) in the Air Force, eight Majors, a Lieutenant Commander (Major equivalent) in the Navy, two Squadron Leaders (Major equivalent) in the Air Force, five Captains and one Lieutenant.

Also in custody are 10 non-commissioned officers, comprising one Warrant Officer, five Sergeants, one Corporal and two Lance Corporals.

The detainees are said to be drawn largely from the northern part of the country, including Niger, Katsina, Kaduna, Plateau, Kano, Gombe, Bauchi, Kebbi, Jigawa, Zamfara, Taraba, Yobe, Kogi, Sokoto and Adamawa states, as well as the Federal Capital Territory.

Investigations into the alleged coup plot began in October 2025 when several officers were arrested in coordinated operations by the DIA after weeks of covert surveillance.

Although the Defence Headquarters initially dismissed media reports linking the arrests to a coup attempt, it has since admitted that allegations of plotting to overthrow the government formed a major part of the investigation.

Human rights concerns have, however, emerged over the detention conditions of the suspects. Sources alleged that some of the detained officers have fallen ill in custody, with two reportedly collapsing due to harsh conditions in an underground military cell in Abuja.

Families of the officers have complained of prolonged incommunicado detention, denial of access to lawyers and lack of information regarding transfers between detention facilities.

The investigation has also attracted political attention, following reports that military operatives visited the Abuja residence of former Minister of State for Petroleum Resources, Timipre Sylva. Sylva confirmed the visit but denied any involvement, describing attempts to link him to the plot as politically motivated.

Security authorities insist that investigations are still ongoing and that anyone found culpable would be prosecuted in accordance with military and civil laws.

Daily Sun further learnt from the Defence Headquarters in Abuja that investigations have been concluded and those found to have participated in the alleged putsch had been identified and would soon be arraigned before a court-martial.

The Minister of Defence, General Christopher Musa, in a recent television interview disclosed that he would have been assassinated if the coup had succeeded, saying he was one of the primary targets.

“I was also a target. I was supposed to be arrested, and if I refused, I was supposed to be shot. But again, I think these guys were just a bunch of very unserious individuals. If you look at the calibre of the individuals, I really don’t know what got into their heads to think that they could take on the armed forces like that,” he said.

He added that even ordinary Nigerians would have resisted any attempt to return the country to military rule.

“Even without the armed forces, Nigerians would have stood against them. Nigerians fought against military rule for years, and Mr. President has always been one of those who stood for democracy,” Musa stated.

The Defence Minister said most of those involved had been apprehended, with only “maybe one or two” suspects still at large.

“So far, most of them have been caught. If there’s anyone, maybe one or two. It just started from the colonel himself, who felt disgruntled because he was not promoted. He didn’t meet the marks to be promoted,” he explained.

Musa further noted that the plot was driven largely by personal grievances, stressing that promotions in the armed forces were strictly merit-based.

“The armed forces is very strict about its promotion system. But, he didn’t make it. So, what he decided to do was probably go around, look at other people that had one issue or the other, with the aim of bringing them in,” he said.

Expressing concern for junior officers allegedly lured into the plan, the minister added: “My pain is all those young officers who didn’t understand what was going on that he put in this mess. Now, they have to face the consequences.”

Authorities have assured Nigerians that the military remains loyal to the Constitution and that efforts were being intensified to prevent any threat to the nation’s democracy.

Related

Tags: #AsoRockVilla#CoupPlot#PresidentBolaAhmedTinubu
ADVERTISEMENT
Previous Post

Okpebholo has repositioned Edo Sports to reclaim its glory – Deputy Governor

Next Post

Defence Minister talks about Army General abducted by insurgents

Related Posts

Dr. Godwin Ehighiamusoe — enterprise, compassion and the power of empowerment
News

Dr. Godwin Ehighiamusoe — enterprise, compassion and the power of empowerment

May 20, 2026
1k
50 CNG buses commissned by govt to ease transportation — Afegbua
News

50 CNG buses commissned by govt to ease transportation — Afegbua

May 20, 2026
1k
‘It’s killing business’: Trump’s mass deportation push is crushing local economies
News

Body of second U.S. soldier who went missing in Morocco recovered

May 14, 2026
1k
An open letter to the leaders of the PDP
News

PDP Edo witnesses massive turnout, renewed unity as aspirants undergo screening

May 13, 2026
1k
BREAKING: APC clears Fubara to contest for second term
News

BREAKING: APC clears Fubara to contest for second term

May 10, 2026
1.1k
Concerned Edo South APC stakeholders on resignation of Iyawe, imposition, interference and marginalisation in Edo South
News

Concerned Edo South APC stakeholders on resignation of Iyawe, imposition, interference and marginalisation in Edo South

May 8, 2026
1k
Next Post
Defence Minister talks about Army General abducted by insurgents

Defence Minister talks about Army General abducted by insurgents

Discussion about this post

ADVERTISEMENT

Highlights

Happy 91st birthday daddy

Donald Trump Jr. and Bettina Anderson get married in Florida

Bumper CIG night

When the people spoke will APC listen?

When cheap propaganda masquerade as Journalism

ADVERTISEMENT

Troops of 4 Brigade bust kidnappers’ hideouts, arrest 12 suspects

Tooth infection and dental disease cited as cause of death for Haitian man in ICE custody

2027: Group calls for support for Owan candidates

Response to Atiku Abubakar’s diatribe on unconstitutionality of zoning

Ancient’ statues fraud foiled by fake paperwork

ADVERTISEMENT

Trending

What’s happening in Izon land?
Lifestyle

What’s happening in Izon land?

May 18, 2026
1k

Please, good day. I need the support of my Ijaw brothers to be educated on ongoing issues that if not...

2025 FGN/ASUU Agreement reneged

2025 FGN/ASUU Agreement reneged

May 21, 2026
1k
Okpebholo call your aides to order

Okpebholo’s magic wand

May 22, 2026
1k
An Indian bride dies. Rival claims of murder and suicide set off media frenzy

An Indian bride dies. Rival claims of murder and suicide set off media frenzy

May 22, 2026
1k
Samuel Ogbemudia: The man who built beyond his time

Samuel Ogbemudia: The man who built beyond his time

May 17, 2026
1k
Ghana, Ivory Coast in tricky qualifying group for the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations

Ghana, Ivory Coast in tricky qualifying group for the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations

May 19, 2026
1k
ADVERTISEMENT
Everything on JUMIA
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Facebook Twitter Instagram

About Us

Popularnews logo

News gathering and dissemination is a business that is worth the while. We have put in some 40 years of experience in the business to equip us for the task at hand. We promise to let these years of experience to bear in the discharge of our duties and as well meet your expectations in this one stop news portal. Our main focus, of course, will be Nigeria.

SECTIONS

  • Agriculture and Natural Resources
  • Breaking News
  • Business
  • Celebration
  • Crime
  • Culture and Tradition
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Environment
  • Exclusive
  • Featured
  • Gender Issues
  • Governance
  • Grassroots
  • Health
  • Hospitality
  • Infrastructure
  • Interview
  • Judiciary
  • Lifestyle
  • Metro
  • Migration
  • News
  • Newspapers
  • Oil and Gas
  • Parliament
  • People's Parliament
  • Photospeak
  • Point of View
  • Politics
  • Press Statement
  • Pussyfoot
  • Religion
  • Right of Reply
  • Security
  • Sponsored
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Tete-a-Tete
  • Tourism
  • Travels
  • Tribute

NEWS SOURCES

  • Bightnews
  • TrackNews
  • National Daily
  • Point News Nigeria
  • Socialist Workers
  • Nigerian Tribune
  • The Nation
  • Thisday
  • The Sun
  • Daily Independent
  • Nigerian's news
  • PM News
  • Vanguard
  • Premium Times
  • Punch
  • Sahara Reporters
  • The Guardian
  • Bayelsa Online News
  • Leadership Newspaper
  • Daily Times Of Nigeria
  • © 2025 Popular News9ja is owned by News Around the World Media - Web Designed by AfeesHost.

    • Home
    • News
    • Politics
    • Metro
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Sports
    • Interview

    © 2025 Popular News9ja is owned by News Around the World Media - Web Designed by AfeesHost.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.