Saturday, May 23, 2026
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Metro
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Interview
Popular News9ja
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Metro
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Interview
No Result
View All Result
Popular News9ja
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Metro
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Interview
No Result
View All Result
Popular News9ja
No Result
View All Result
Everything on JUMIA
ADVERTISEMENT

Inside details of how Ngelale was fired

by Popular News
September 7, 2024
0
181
SHARES
1.5k
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on WhatsApp
ADVERTISEMENT

Details have emerged about the sudden exit of Ajuri Ngelale, former Special Adviser to President Bola Tinubu on Media and Publicity.

Contrary to his claim of resigning due to a “vexatious medical situation” in his family, a report by the Foundation for Investigative Journalism (FIJ) has exposed that Ngelale was actually fired by the presidency.

ReadAlso

Gunmen kill dozens in Nigeria as US military deployment confirmed

Defence Minister, Christopher Musa, joins APC

According to highly-placed sources within the presidency, Ngelale’s departure was a result of a long-standing power tussle with Bayo Onanuga, Special Adviser on Information and Strategy.

The feud between the two officials had been ongoing since Tinubu’s election in 2023, with Ngelale reportedly considering himself superior due to his prior experience in government.

“Ngelale considered himself untouchable because he had the backing of the president’s son Seyi and Femi Gbajabiamila, the president’s chief of staff,” one source disclosed.

“He was fired; I became aware of this on Tuesday, but I won’t rule out the possibility that it happened earlier. When he got the letter, he started to plead to be allowed to resign as a soft landing. He was eventually given a soft landing, which is understandable. News of his sacking in public would have thoroughly embarrassed not just Ngelale but the presidency too.”

The source went on to disclose that there were interventions made with the aim of settling the issue but Ngelale was bent at reconciliation.

“The Ngelale-Onanuga feud was no secret in the villa, so several top appointees and cabinet members attempted to intervene at separate times; and while Onanuga was open to peace talks, Ngelale wasn’t,” the source said.

“For example, Mohammed Idris Malagi, the Minister of Information and National Orientation, called for talks four times. Onanuga was willing to attend but Ngelale snubbed them all, always claiming he was busy.”

The report reveals that Ngelale’s relationship with Onanuga was strained, and he even blocked Onanuga from having an office of his own until recently.

A source close to the presidency said Onanuga, despite being formally appointed in October 2023 “was a squatter in the presidency and did not have an office of his own until just a few months ago.

“When Onanuga was appointed, he had no office. He was squatting in Tunde Rahman’s office,” said one of the sources. “It was just recently that he eventually got an office that belonged to either Wale Edun or Zacheus Adedeji when they were still advisers.”

Rahman is the Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Zacheus Adedeji is the Special Adviser on Revenue while Wale Edun is Special Adviser on Monetary Policy. All three advisers were appointed months before Onanuga’s appointment.

Sources also revealed that Ngelale’s appointment was facilitated by his connection to Seyi Tinubu, the President’s son, and Femi Gbajabiamila, the President’s Chief of Staff.

The sources said his backings gave him the entitlement in the Presidency. According to a source, “It was about how he got the job.”

– How Ajuri Ingratiated Himself With Tinubu

“During the 2023 presidential electioneering, Jumoke Oduwole, the Special Adviser on Presidential Enabling Business Environment Council (PEBEC), introduced Ngelale to Gbajabiamila,” said the source.

“When Ngelale got there, he met Seyi. He told Seyi he would facilitate a CNN interview during which Tinubu’s presidential ambition would be discussed. Seyi thought it was impossible, but Ngelale did it. He secured the interview on CNN. He then told Seyi the time and date it would air. Seyi promised Ngelale that Tinubu would phone him if he pulled it off. Immediately after the interview was aired, Tinubu called Ngelale.

“When Tinubu won the election, Ngelale was abroad. People told him to return home but he said no; he insisted he would get his own appointment once he arrived in the country. And that was exactly what happened: Ngelale’s appointment by Tinubu was announced days after his return to Nigeria.

“Conversely, Gbajabiamila delayed the announcement of Onanuga’s appointment for at least two months. It required Chief Bisi Akande, who originally made the case for Onanuga’s appointment, to return to Tinubu for follow-up conversations. That was when Tinubu ordered that Onanuga’s appointment should be made, and that was how Onanuga came to the villa.”

It is also understood that staff at the presidential villa and civil servants involved in the president’s communication strategy were aware of the strained relationship between Ngelale and Onanuga. As a result, they felt caught in the middle, believing that collaborating with one individual would lead the other to perceive them as adversary.

“This meant the work of publicising the president’s progressive policies was derailed,” said the source.

“By the way, Ngelale instructed civil servants that no statement from Onanuga could go out if he had not personally cleared it. If you speak with sources across divides, they would tell you Onanuga was the more peace-seeking of the duo. But this particular order from Ngelale to civil servants annoyed Onanuga.

“He did not have a good relationship with journalists. Ask the reporters; ask the state house correspondents. And also ask editors,” the source added.

“Many people consider him disrespectful and arrogant, even the editors. You can hardly find any important editor in Nigeria who likes or regards Ngelale.”

It can be recalled that Ngalale in his letter of resignation said, “On Friday, I submitted a memo to the Chief of Staff to the President informing my office that I am proceeding on an indefinite leave of absence to frontally deal with medical matters presently affecting my immediate, nuclear family.

“While I fully appreciate that the ship of state waits for no man, this agonising decision — entailing a pause of my functions as the Special Adviser to the President on Media & Publicity and Official Spokesperson of the President; Special Presidential Envoy on Climate Action, and Chairman, Presidential Steering Committee on Project Evergreen — was taken after significant consultations with my family over the past several days as a vexatious medical situation has worsened at home.”

He added that he looked “forward to returning to full-time national service when time, healing, and fate permit,” and respectfully asked “for some privacy for my family and I [sic] during this time.”

Related

Tags: #AjuriNgelale#AsoRockVilla#BayoOnanuga#PresidentBolaAhmedTinubu
ADVERTISEMENT
Previous Post

APC calls for the arrest of Edo Deputy Governor, Council Chairman, over attack on its campaign train in Akoko-Edo

Next Post

NAFDAC exposes Pastor Fufeyin’s fake products

Related Posts

Breaking News: Olusegun Osoba is gone
Breaking News

Breaking News: Olusegun Osoba is gone

May 15, 2026
1.2k
Breaking News

Just In: ‘Peller’ declared wanted by Benin Traditional Council for unapproved access into Benin Palace

March 17, 2026
1.3k
‘Boss’, the bully in the viral molestation video recorded at Igbinedion Education Centre, Benin, identified
Breaking News

‘Boss’, the bully in the viral molestation video recorded at Igbinedion Education Centre, Benin, identified

March 15, 2026
1.1k
BREAKING: Police arrest popular TikToker, Peller, over reckless driving
Breaking News

Bullying in Igbinedion Education Centre: All eyes must be on the Police

March 15, 2026
1.1k
Breaking News

Shocker: Presidential chef arrested over plot to poison Tinubu

March 1, 2026
1.3k
Breaking: Unidentified gunmen strike in Benin kill father of three
Breaking News

Breaking: Unidentified gunmen strike in Benin kill father of three

February 13, 2026
1.2k
Next Post
NAFDAC exposes Pastor Fufeyin’s fake products

NAFDAC exposes Pastor Fufeyin's fake products

Discussion about this post

ADVERTISEMENT

Highlights

Ancient’ statues fraud foiled by fake paperwork

Re: Desperate fabrication by quack publication “Standard Daily Press”

Tooth infection and dental disease cited as cause of death for Haitian man in ICE custody

When the people spoke will APC listen?

50 CNG buses commissned by govt to ease transportation — Afegbua

ADVERTISEMENT

Donald Trump Jr. and Bettina Anderson get married in Florida

2025 FGN/ASUU Agreement reneged

Okpebholo’s magic wand

Ghana, Ivory Coast in tricky qualifying group for the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations

Troops of 4 Brigade bust kidnappers’ hideouts, arrest 12 suspects

ADVERTISEMENT

Trending

What’s happening in Izon land?
Lifestyle

What’s happening in Izon land?

May 18, 2026
1k

Please, good day. I need the support of my Ijaw brothers to be educated on ongoing issues that if not...

2027: Group calls for support for Owan candidates

2027: Group calls for support for Owan candidates

May 19, 2026
1k
Happy 91st birthday daddy

Happy 91st birthday daddy

May 21, 2026
1k
An Indian bride dies. Rival claims of murder and suicide set off media frenzy

An Indian bride dies. Rival claims of murder and suicide set off media frenzy

May 22, 2026
1k
Response to Atiku Abubakar’s diatribe on unconstitutionality of zoning

Response to Atiku Abubakar’s diatribe on unconstitutionality of zoning

May 20, 2026
1k
Samuel Ogbemudia: The man who built beyond his time

Samuel Ogbemudia: The man who built beyond his time

May 17, 2026
1k
ADVERTISEMENT
Everything on JUMIA
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Facebook Twitter Instagram

About Us

Popularnews logo

News gathering and dissemination is a business that is worth the while. We have put in some 40 years of experience in the business to equip us for the task at hand. We promise to let these years of experience to bear in the discharge of our duties and as well meet your expectations in this one stop news portal. Our main focus, of course, will be Nigeria.

SECTIONS

  • Agriculture and Natural Resources
  • Breaking News
  • Business
  • Celebration
  • Crime
  • Culture and Tradition
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Environment
  • Exclusive
  • Featured
  • Gender Issues
  • Governance
  • Grassroots
  • Health
  • Hospitality
  • Infrastructure
  • Interview
  • Judiciary
  • Lifestyle
  • Metro
  • Migration
  • News
  • Newspapers
  • Oil and Gas
  • Parliament
  • People's Parliament
  • Photospeak
  • Point of View
  • Politics
  • Press Statement
  • Pussyfoot
  • Religion
  • Right of Reply
  • Security
  • Sponsored
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Tete-a-Tete
  • Tourism
  • Travels
  • Tribute

NEWS SOURCES

  • Bightnews
  • TrackNews
  • National Daily
  • Point News Nigeria
  • Socialist Workers
  • Nigerian Tribune
  • The Nation
  • Thisday
  • The Sun
  • Daily Independent
  • Nigerian's news
  • PM News
  • Vanguard
  • Premium Times
  • Punch
  • Sahara Reporters
  • The Guardian
  • Bayelsa Online News
  • Leadership Newspaper
  • Daily Times Of Nigeria
  • © 2025 Popular News9ja is owned by News Around the World Media - Web Designed by AfeesHost.

    • Home
    • News
    • Politics
    • Metro
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Sports
    • Interview

    © 2025 Popular News9ja is owned by News Around the World Media - Web Designed by AfeesHost.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.