Saturday, May 23, 2026
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Metro
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Interview
Popular News9ja
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Metro
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Interview
No Result
View All Result
Popular News9ja
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Metro
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Interview
No Result
View All Result
Popular News9ja
No Result
View All Result
Everything on JUMIA
ADVERTISEMENT

How endsars protest was hijacked, misdirected, President Buhari tells former heads of state

by Popular News
October 24, 2020
0
121
SHARES
1k
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on WhatsApp
ADVERTISEMENT

 It is unfortunate that the initial genuine and well-intended protest of youths in parts of the country against the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) was hijacked and misdirected, President Muhammadu Buhari told former Heads of State and Presidents of Nigeria, Friday in Abuja.


 In a virtual meeting with the former leaders, President Buhari reiterated that the Government will not fold its arms and allow miscreants and criminals continue to perpetrate acts of hooliganism in the country.

ReadAlso

Ancient’ statues fraud foiled by fake paperwork

Donald Trump Jr. and Bettina Anderson get married in Florida


 At the meeting were all living past leaders, including: Gen. Yakubu Gowon, President Olusegun Obasanjo, Gen. Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida, Chief Ernest Shonekan, Gen. Abulsalami Abubakar, and former President Goodluck Jonathan.


 The President recounted the initial concessions made by his administration on the demands of youths protesting against the excesses of some members of the SARS.
 He recalled that the youths had demanded that the squad be disbanded, and further articulated the additional demands, including: ”The immediate release of all arrested protesters.


 ”Justice for deceased victims of police brutality and appropriate compensation for their families.


 ”Setting up an independent body to oversee the investigation and prosecution of all reports of Police misconduct within 10 days.


 ”Psychological evaluation and re-training of all disbanded SARS officers before they can be re-deployed; and increase in Police salary.”


 The President declared: ”We accepted all the demands and proceeded immediately to scrap SARS and started the process of addressing the other demands.


 ”Unfortunately, the protesters refused to call off the protest and engage the Government to address their grievances. Instead, they became emboldened and gradually turned violent.”


 President Buhari expressed concern that in the mayhem that ensued, many lives have been lost, a number of public and private properties completely destroyed or vandalized.


 Reiterating his pledge to Nigerians from the nationwide broadcast Thursday, the President reaffirmed: ”We will continue to improve good governance through our democratic process including through sustained engagement.


 ”We shall also continue to ensure that liberty and freedom, as well as the fundamental rights of all citizens are protected. Here, I want to also reaffirm our commitment to preserving the unity of this country.”


 The President thanked the former Heads of State for attending the meeting and their invaluable comments, observations and advice, adding that ”Nigerians expect nothing less from responsible statesmen.”


 Each of the former leaders commended President Buhari for steps taken so far to restore calm and order to the country and also applauded the presidential broadcast of Thursday as detailed and soothing to the country.


 ”I commend the speech of last night. The nation had been waiting. You made points that I believe need to be commended.

Peaceful demonstration is part of democratic practice. The demands of the genuine protesters were accepted, and you are working on implementation. We commend you,” former President, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo, said.


 The former heads of state were unanimous in their view that generation of employment and growing the economy including through direct foreign investments were critical to checking youth restiveness.


 They also expressed their condolences to the bereaved families of civilians, policemen and soldiers killed as a result of the violent protest, and reaffirmed the commitment to respect the fundamental rights of citizens, including for peaceful protest as enshrined in the Constitution.


 The former Heads of State also condemned the divisive and inciting pronouncements of separatists, and were of the opinion that such acts should be stopped. 


Equally, the former Leaders commended the actions taken by Governors to address the demands of the ENDSARS protesters and their efforts to check the excesses of those who perpetrated violent acts and conduct.


 Finally, they called on youths to pursue peaceful means, in seeking redress through engagement with Government and encouraged further conversation with the youths and other stakeholders in the country.

Related

ADVERTISEMENT
Previous Post

FG begins N75bn support fund disbursement this week

Next Post

Jailbreak: Edo govt extends ultimatum to fleeing prisoners by one week

Related Posts

An Indian bride dies. Rival claims of murder and suicide set off media frenzy
Featured

An Indian bride dies. Rival claims of murder and suicide set off media frenzy

May 22, 2026
1k
Okpebholo call your aides to order
Governance

Okpebholo’s magic wand

May 22, 2026
1k
Dr. Godwin Ehighiamusoe — enterprise, compassion and the power of empowerment
News

Dr. Godwin Ehighiamusoe — enterprise, compassion and the power of empowerment

May 20, 2026
1k
50 CNG buses commissned by govt to ease transportation — Afegbua
News

50 CNG buses commissned by govt to ease transportation — Afegbua

May 20, 2026
1k
‘It’s killing business’: Trump’s mass deportation push is crushing local economies
News

Body of second U.S. soldier who went missing in Morocco recovered

May 14, 2026
1k
An open letter to the leaders of the PDP
News

PDP Edo witnesses massive turnout, renewed unity as aspirants undergo screening

May 13, 2026
1k
Next Post
Edo hots up for Super Eagles’ 2021 AFCON qualifier against Sierra Leone

Jailbreak: Edo govt extends ultimatum to fleeing prisoners by one week

Discussion about this post

ADVERTISEMENT

Highlights

When cheap propaganda masquerade as Journalism

What’s happening in Izon land?

ADVERTISEMENT

When the people spoke will APC listen?

Dr. Godwin Ehighiamusoe — enterprise, compassion and the power of empowerment

2027: Group calls for support for Owan candidates

Response to Atiku Abubakar’s diatribe on unconstitutionality of zoning

Donald Trump Jr. and Bettina Anderson get married in Florida

Happy 91st birthday daddy

Okpebholo’s magic wand

An Indian bride dies. Rival claims of murder and suicide set off media frenzy

ADVERTISEMENT

Trending

Troops of 4 Brigade bust kidnappers’ hideouts, arrest 12 suspects
Crime

Troops of 4 Brigade bust kidnappers’ hideouts, arrest 12 suspects

May 20, 2026
1.1k

Troops of 4 Brigade, under 2 Division Nigerian Army, in conjunction with the other security agencies and the Edo State...

2025 FGN/ASUU Agreement reneged

2025 FGN/ASUU Agreement reneged

May 21, 2026
1k
Samuel Ogbemudia: The man who built beyond his time

Samuel Ogbemudia: The man who built beyond his time

May 17, 2026
1k
Tooth infection and dental disease cited as cause of death for Haitian man in ICE custody

Tooth infection and dental disease cited as cause of death for Haitian man in ICE custody

May 17, 2026
1k
Ghana, Ivory Coast in tricky qualifying group for the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations

Ghana, Ivory Coast in tricky qualifying group for the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations

May 19, 2026
1k
50 CNG buses commissned by govt to ease transportation — Afegbua

50 CNG buses commissned by govt to ease transportation — Afegbua

May 20, 2026
1k
ADVERTISEMENT
Everything on JUMIA
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Facebook Twitter Instagram

About Us

Popularnews logo

News gathering and dissemination is a business that is worth the while. We have put in some 40 years of experience in the business to equip us for the task at hand. We promise to let these years of experience to bear in the discharge of our duties and as well meet your expectations in this one stop news portal. Our main focus, of course, will be Nigeria.

SECTIONS

  • Agriculture and Natural Resources
  • Breaking News
  • Business
  • Celebration
  • Crime
  • Culture and Tradition
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Environment
  • Exclusive
  • Featured
  • Gender Issues
  • Governance
  • Grassroots
  • Health
  • Hospitality
  • Infrastructure
  • Interview
  • Judiciary
  • Lifestyle
  • Metro
  • Migration
  • News
  • Newspapers
  • Oil and Gas
  • Parliament
  • People's Parliament
  • Photospeak
  • Point of View
  • Politics
  • Press Statement
  • Pussyfoot
  • Religion
  • Right of Reply
  • Security
  • Sponsored
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Tete-a-Tete
  • Tourism
  • Travels
  • Tribute

NEWS SOURCES

  • Bightnews
  • TrackNews
  • National Daily
  • Point News Nigeria
  • Socialist Workers
  • Nigerian Tribune
  • The Nation
  • Thisday
  • The Sun
  • Daily Independent
  • Nigerian's news
  • PM News
  • Vanguard
  • Premium Times
  • Punch
  • Sahara Reporters
  • The Guardian
  • Bayelsa Online News
  • Leadership Newspaper
  • Daily Times Of Nigeria
  • © 2025 Popular News9ja is owned by News Around the World Media - Web Designed by AfeesHost.

    • Home
    • News
    • Politics
    • Metro
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Sports
    • Interview

    © 2025 Popular News9ja is owned by News Around the World Media - Web Designed by AfeesHost.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.