Saturday, May 23, 2026
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Metro
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Interview
Popular News9ja
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Metro
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Interview
No Result
View All Result
Popular News9ja
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Metro
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Interview
No Result
View All Result
Popular News9ja
No Result
View All Result
Everything on JUMIA
ADVERTISEMENT

Gunmen kill dozens in Nigeria as US military deployment confirmed

by Popular News
February 5, 2026
0
123
SHARES
1k
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on WhatsApp
ADVERTISEMENT

Dozens of people have been killed in a ferocious shooting attack on two villages in Nigeria’s western state of Kwara, according to authorities and rights groups.

The attackers also set fire to shops and homes, along with the residence of the traditional leader, forcing the residents of Nuku and Woro to flee, local lawmaker Saidu Baba Ahmed told BBC Hausa.

ReadAlso

Defence Minister, Christopher Musa, joins APC

Military dragnet widens as retired Army General is arrested over alleged coup plot against Tinubu

Officials have blamed extremist groups for the attack and deployed an army battalion to Kwara’s Kaiama constituency.

Tuesday’s attack, one of several across Nigeria in the last few days, comes as the country’s defence minister confirmed to the BBC that a small team of US troops was in the country to help with intelligence and training.

Nigerian President Bola Tinubu has blamed jihadist group Boko Haram for the attack. Local lawmaker Mohammed Omar Bio said Lakurawa, an armed group affiliated with the Islamic State group, was responsible, according to the Associated Press.

Kwara State Governor AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq said 75 people had been “massacred in cold blood”.

Ahmed initially told BBC Hausa that at least 35 people had died, but human rights groups have since reported more than four times that number.

A Red Cross official in Kwara, Babaomo Ayodeji, told AFP that “reports said that the death toll now stands at 162, as the search for more bodies continues”.

Meanwhile, Amnesty International said in a statement that over 170 people had died, noting many were shot at close range and some burnt alive.

Several people were abducted in the attack that was undertaken in a “stunning absence of any form of security for the protection of lives”, the human rights group said while calling for an investigation.

A further 21 people were killed in an attack on Doma village in the state of Katsina, they added.

The attacks come alongside the first official acknowledgement from Nigeria of an American troop presence since US President Donald Trump ordered the military in November to prepare for action in Nigeria to tackle Islamist militant groups.

Defence Minister Chrisopher Musa did not provide details on the team’s size, arrival date, location or duration of stay.

His comments follow those made on Tuesday by Gen Dagvin Anderson of US Africa Command (Africom), who said the deployment followed a Nigerian request and was focused on intelligence support.

“Our partnership with Nigeria is a great example of a very willing and capable partner who requested the unique capabilities that only the US can bring,” he said.

Nigeria faces an array of security challenges including criminal gangs – known locally as “bandits” who loot and kidnap for ransom – an Islamist insurgency, clashes over land and separatist unrest.

Kwara police spokesperson Adetoun Ejire-Adeyemi told the BBC that the attack on the neighbouring villages of Nuku and Woro began at 17:30 local time on Tuesday – and she blamed suspected bandits.

She added that various security forces had now been deployed to the area but details of casualties were still unclear as were reports that people were missing.

The whereabouts of the traditional king are reportedly unknown.

Ahmed, the local MP, said the attack on Woro came after several smaller attacks in the area in recent days.

“They started shooting sporadically, they burnt shops, at least 35 bodies have been retrieved – more bodies could be retrieved because people ran into the forest with gunshot wounds,” he told BBC Hausa.

“It was complete chaos… Everybody is terrified.”

For years the bandits have mainly targeted those in the north-west of Nigeria – but they have been moving to other parts of the country, like Kwara and Niger states, more recently.

Some jihadists – suspected to be from a Boko Haram splinter faction – have also been active in Kwara, carrying out targeted killings, often riding in on motorcycles and attacking markets and vigilante groups set up to protect villagers.

AbdulRazaq said Tuesday’s attack was a result of recent counter-terrorism operations in the region.

AbdulRazaq belived the attack was “apparently to distract the security forces who have successfully hunted down several terrorist and kidnapping gangs”, his press secretary Rafiu Ajakaye said in a statement.

The kidnap gangs, jihadists and separatists wreaking havoc in Nigeria
Nigerian villagers ‘too scared to speak’ after hundreds of schoolchildren kidnapped

Also on Tuesday, in the north-eastern Borno State, 17 people were killed in a series of attacks by suspected Boko Haram militants.

The US and Nigerian forces have conducted joint training programmes and exercises for decades.

But the US military has recently become more involved – launching airstrikes on Christmas Day on two camps run by an Islamist militant group in north-western Nigeria.

Late last year, the White House pressed Nigeria’s government to improve security and strengthen protections for Christian communities.

Trump had previously claimed there was a “Christian genocide” under way in Nigeria – an allegation strongly rejected by Nigeria’s government, which said Muslims, Christians and people of no faith were victims of attacks.

There are more than 250 ethnic groups in Nigeria, which is roughly divided into a mainly Muslim north, a largely Christian south, with intermingling in the middle.

Nigeria’s Foreign Minister Yusuf Tuggar said the Christmas-Day strikes were approved by President Bola Tinubu and involved Nigerian forces.

Since then security co-operation between the two nations has increased – with the US saying last month that it had delivered critical supplies to support Nigeria’s security efforts.

Nigeria’s military then told the BBC the equipment had been purchased earlier to aid counter-insurgency operations.

In recent weeks, Nigerian forces have stepped up operations against armed groups.

On Sunday, the army said it had killed a senior Boko Haram commander and 10 other militants during an operation in Borno State.

Related

Tags: #PresidentBolaAhmedTinubu
ADVERTISEMENT
Previous Post

Tinubu orders Army to move into Kaiama, condemns terrorist attack, mourns victims

Next Post

Kun Khalifat FC bade bye to the NPFL

Related Posts

Dr. Godwin Ehighiamusoe — enterprise, compassion and the power of empowerment
News

Dr. Godwin Ehighiamusoe — enterprise, compassion and the power of empowerment

May 20, 2026
1k
50 CNG buses commissned by govt to ease transportation — Afegbua
News

50 CNG buses commissned by govt to ease transportation — Afegbua

May 20, 2026
1k
‘It’s killing business’: Trump’s mass deportation push is crushing local economies
News

Body of second U.S. soldier who went missing in Morocco recovered

May 14, 2026
1k
An open letter to the leaders of the PDP
News

PDP Edo witnesses massive turnout, renewed unity as aspirants undergo screening

May 13, 2026
1k
BREAKING: APC clears Fubara to contest for second term
News

BREAKING: APC clears Fubara to contest for second term

May 10, 2026
1.1k
Concerned Edo South APC stakeholders on resignation of Iyawe, imposition, interference and marginalisation in Edo South
News

Concerned Edo South APC stakeholders on resignation of Iyawe, imposition, interference and marginalisation in Edo South

May 8, 2026
1k
Next Post
NPFL26: Jinx broken as Bendel Insurance beat Kano Pillars 3-2

Kun Khalifat FC bade bye to the NPFL

Discussion about this post

ADVERTISEMENT

Highlights

2025 FGN/ASUU Agreement reneged

An Indian bride dies. Rival claims of murder and suicide set off media frenzy

Happy 91st birthday daddy

Re: Desperate fabrication by quack publication “Standard Daily Press”

50 CNG buses commissned by govt to ease transportation — Afegbua

Response to Atiku Abubakar’s diatribe on unconstitutionality of zoning

Dr. Godwin Ehighiamusoe — enterprise, compassion and the power of empowerment

ADVERTISEMENT

2027: Group calls for support for Owan candidates

When the people spoke will APC listen?

Okpebholo’s magic wand

ADVERTISEMENT

Trending

Troops of 4 Brigade bust kidnappers’ hideouts, arrest 12 suspects
Crime

Troops of 4 Brigade bust kidnappers’ hideouts, arrest 12 suspects

May 20, 2026
1.1k

Troops of 4 Brigade, under 2 Division Nigerian Army, in conjunction with the other security agencies and the Edo State...

Donald Trump Jr. and Bettina Anderson get married in Florida

Donald Trump Jr. and Bettina Anderson get married in Florida

May 23, 2026
1k
What’s happening in Izon land?

What’s happening in Izon land?

May 18, 2026
1k
Samuel Ogbemudia: The man who built beyond his time

Samuel Ogbemudia: The man who built beyond his time

May 17, 2026
1k
Tooth infection and dental disease cited as cause of death for Haitian man in ICE custody

Tooth infection and dental disease cited as cause of death for Haitian man in ICE custody

May 17, 2026
1k
Ghana, Ivory Coast in tricky qualifying group for the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations

Ghana, Ivory Coast in tricky qualifying group for the 2027 Africa Cup of Nations

May 19, 2026
1k
ADVERTISEMENT
Everything on JUMIA
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
Facebook Twitter Instagram

About Us

Popularnews logo

News gathering and dissemination is a business that is worth the while. We have put in some 40 years of experience in the business to equip us for the task at hand. We promise to let these years of experience to bear in the discharge of our duties and as well meet your expectations in this one stop news portal. Our main focus, of course, will be Nigeria.

SECTIONS

  • Agriculture and Natural Resources
  • Breaking News
  • Business
  • Celebration
  • Crime
  • Culture and Tradition
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Environment
  • Exclusive
  • Featured
  • Gender Issues
  • Governance
  • Grassroots
  • Health
  • Hospitality
  • Infrastructure
  • Interview
  • Judiciary
  • Lifestyle
  • Metro
  • Migration
  • News
  • Newspapers
  • Oil and Gas
  • Parliament
  • People's Parliament
  • Photospeak
  • Point of View
  • Politics
  • Press Statement
  • Pussyfoot
  • Religion
  • Right of Reply
  • Security
  • Sponsored
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Tete-a-Tete
  • Tourism
  • Travels
  • Tribute

NEWS SOURCES

  • Bightnews
  • TrackNews
  • National Daily
  • Point News Nigeria
  • Socialist Workers
  • Nigerian Tribune
  • The Nation
  • Thisday
  • The Sun
  • Daily Independent
  • Nigerian's news
  • PM News
  • Vanguard
  • Premium Times
  • Punch
  • Sahara Reporters
  • The Guardian
  • Bayelsa Online News
  • Leadership Newspaper
  • Daily Times Of Nigeria
  • © 2025 Popular News9ja is owned by News Around the World Media - Web Designed by AfeesHost.

    • Home
    • News
    • Politics
    • Metro
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Sports
    • Interview

    © 2025 Popular News9ja is owned by News Around the World Media - Web Designed by AfeesHost.

    This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.