The Department of Homeland Security is providing more details about the people picked up during a federal raid targeting street vendors in Lower Manhattan on Tuesday afternoon.
Nine immigrants from Africa suspected of being in the country illegally were taken into custody by Immigration and Custom Enforcement agents during what DHS called a “targeted, intelligence-driven enforcement operation on Canal Street in New York City focused on criminal activity relating to selling counterfeit goods.”
The men hail from Senegal, Guinea, Mali and Mauritania, and some have criminal histories that include a variety of charges like robbery, burglary, domestic violence, assaulting law enforcement and more, DHS Assistant Secretary Tricia McLaughlin said.
“The majority of those arrested were released into the country by the Biden administration. Under President Trump and Secretary Noem, criminal illegal aliens are not welcome in the U.S.,” McLaughlin said.
Additionally, five protesters were arrested Tuesday on charges that include assaulting law enforcement and obstruction, DHS said.
ICE Acting Director Todd Lyons said on Fox News said Wednesday that New York City residents should expect more crackdowns going forward.
“You will see an increase in ICE arrests because there are so many criminal illegal aliens that have been released in New York, specifically,” Lyons said. “And especially that are being harbored there in New York, for the lack of cooperation there in New York City.”
The NYPD said it had no involvement in Tuesday’s raid.
AG James wants ICE actions documented, submitted by residents
New York Attorney General Letitia James is encouraging residents to submit videos or other documentation of federal immigration enforcement actions via her office’s new online portal.
“Every New Yorker has the right to live without fear or intimidation,” James. “If you witnessed and documented ICE activity yesterday, I urge you to share that footage with my office. We are committed to reviewing these reports and assessing any violations of law. No one should be subject to unlawful questioning, detention, or intimidation.”
Police have raided the illegal street markets before, but John Yong, an attorney who has represented Canal Street vendors since the 1990s, said this time was different.
“The feds had never come into Canal Street before,” Yong said.
Some people working at nearby businesses said they worry the threat of federal crackdowns will steer customers away from storefronts, but others said they are happy about the busts.
“Our business is very big affected now, because people no more come here,” a gift shop worker said.
“Because, bad people do bad things, they should get rid of those people, right?” added Jackie Chen, manager of Sang Sang Jewelry.
Protest of ICE planned for Wednesday
A protest organized by The People’s Forum, a group that says it advocates for working class and marginalized communities, is scheduled for 6 p.m. on Wednesday in Foley Square.
“We will NOT tolerate ICE’s terror in our communities,” the group wrote on social media.
How Tuesday’s operation was carried out draws ire of many
The federal operation provided dramatic visuals. Chopper 2 flew over the scene as DHS investigators drove military-style trucks through Lower Manhattan escorted by armed federal agents.
That, in part, prompted protesters to make their way to 26 Federal Plaza, where the nine men were taken. The demonstration was peaceful, but those in attendance were clearly unnerved about what they saw earlier in the day.
“The manner in which ICE is going into areas and just wreaking havoc, causing unsafe communities — it’s very obvious that this isn’t making anyone safer,” one protester said.
“Immigrants are an inherent part of the country. They are not the problem in this country,” another protester said.
Elected officials were equally angered.
“This is not immigration enforcement. This is lawless terror designed to incite violence to create a pretext for Donald Trump to send the military into New York City,” Rep. Dan Goldman said Wednesday. “They are doing it to terrorize New Yorkers, to terrorize our communities, to install fear in New Yorkers. It is unacceptable and it must stop.”
In a post on X on Tuesday, Gov. Kathy Hochul said, “[President Trump] claims he’s targeting the ‘worst of the worst.’ Today his agents used batons and pepper spray on street vendors and bystanders on Canal Street. You don’t make New York safer by attacking New Yorkers.”
“New York City does not cooperate with federal law enforcement on civil deportations, in accordance with our local laws. While we gather details about the situation, New Yorkers should know that we have no involvement,” Mayor Eric Adams said. “Our administration has been clear that undocumented New Yorkers trying to pursue their American Dreams should not be the target of law enforcement, and resources should instead be focused on violent criminals.”
“There is no excuse for sending military-style vehicles and a national law enforcement response for street vendors,” City Comptroller Brad Lander said.
©2025 CBS Broadcasting Inc.
